Common factors are age and sun damage combined with repetitive muscle contraction. Wrinkles caused by age and sun damage are primarily due to collagen and elastin loss over time. Muscle contraction leaves indentations in the skin arising from muscle movement over time. In the past wrinkles around the eye area were difficult to improve dramatically without the use of injectables or surgery but recent advances in skincare ingredients have shown a softer appearance without the use of these inhibitors.
Tip 1 - Microneedling - Needling safely allows the product that you are applying to get to the dermal layer so that it can induce collagen and elastin production in the dermal tissue at the fibroblast.
Tip 2 - Gently wash and exfoliate the eye area before applying a serum/eye treatment. Serums have a smaller molecule and can penetrate deeper than a cream. The topicals that soften these lines must be bioavailable to the muscle, so the product must deliver these topicals deeply into the skin without any occlusive products blocking them.
*To apply a serum/eye treatment gently tap the product around the orbital bone.
Eye area darkness may be caused by multiple factors such as genetic hyperpigmentation and sun damage. Under eye darkness occurs when blood passes through the fine capillaries in the under eye area and tends to accumulate in that area.
Tip 3 - Use of topicals will be sufficient in lightning the dark circles. Look for gentle lighters such as: undecylenoyl pheylalanine, botanical lighteners or kojic acid.
Tip 4 - Melanin banding patterns tend to darken with age, so the earlier they can be identified the better the lightening result will be. **Avoid hydroquinone; it can cause irritation in the area. Sun damage in the eye area is prominent these days. It is always important to apply a broad spectrum SPF 30 or higher sunscreen to keep this delicate area protected. Gently tap sunscreen around the eye area the same way you apply a serum/eye treatment
Tip 5 - To achieve the removal of this type of under eye darkness, it is important to use an “effleurage” technique whereby circular motions are applied from the inside of the eye area to the outside. You should feel a warming sensation on the fingertip signaling that blood flow has started in the area. This usually takes about 15 seconds to feel.
Tip 6 - Look for skin lighteners with antioxidants. Skin lighteners help with collagen and elastin damage. Many serums/eye treatments contain antioxidants in combination with collagen and elastin initiators.
Under eye puffiness is usually caused by one of two issues. An accumulation of water in the tissue or fat pads. If the issue is water using the effleurage technique (as described above) is effective. If the issue is fat pads there is little that can be done other than surgery.
Tip 7 - To determine whether your under eye puffiness is caused by fat pads or water accumulation, use your finger to palpate the under eye area. If you can feel fat under your finger tip when pressing on the orbital rim, it is fat pads.
Tip 8 - Supplements: Maintaining a high level of essential vitamins through diet that aid in the reduction of dark circles.
- Vitamin K can help strengthen capillaries, which will in turn diminish dark circles (and redness). Green leafy vegetables, including kale, spinach, turnip greens, collards, swiss chard, mustard greens, parsley, romaine, and green leaf lettuce are great sources.
- Vitamin E is a powerful antioxidant that works to protect your body against free radicals that may cause the thinning and wrinkling of the skin in the under-eye area. Good sources of vitamin E include olives, asparagus, and avocado.
- Vitamin C acts as an antioxidant. It protects the blood vessels from inflammation and improves vascular elasticity. Similar to vitamin E, vitamin C plays an important role in collagen synthesis, which helps prevent wrinkles. Foods rich in this mega-vitamin include broccoli, cantaloupe, citrus fruits, cauliflower, kale, kiwi, papaya, sweet potato, strawberries, and tomatoes.
- Omega-3 is a fatty acid that can also help relax blood vessels. Plant oils, including flaxseed, contain omega-3 as well as walnuts, salmon, sardines, and mackerel.
Below are some of my favorite products for topical care
- Soothes, de puffs, tightens and firms skin
- Boosts Circulation
- Aids in Allergy relief
- Calms inflammation
Active Cell Eye Mask:
- Supports tissue renewal
- Decreases puffy eyes
- Firms eye area skin
- Deeply hydrates
- Reduces wrinkles
iS Clinical Youth Eye Complex
Provides penetrating hydration
• Reduces the appearance of periorbital fine lines and wrinkles
• Provides immediate and long-term visible improvements
• Enhances the appearance of firmness and elasticity
• Soothes and brightens the appearance of the under-eye area
• Excellent for lip area